Registration PriorityClosed Programs
Biology Musical Theatre Music Art Teacher's Certification/Education Computer Science Justice StudiesNotable Academic Programs
- Entrepreneurship - Rich, real-life entrepreneurial experience for students; and an ecosystem of talent helps us blur the line of where the campus ends and the entrepreneurial community begins by exposing students to mentors and other advisors who are entrepreneurs. Innovation is central in all we do, including in our MIX Lab, which provides tools for 3D printing, designing and making with the aim of transforming our students’ mindsets, and lives. Our classes are experiential and hands on, and teach students real-world skills to succeed in any career. Our students are budding actors, designers, teachers, scientists, inventors and accountants — anyone can be an entrepreneur, which is why our ENTR courses are open to any student of any major.
- Media Arts - Our trans-disciplinary program is intended to prepare the next generation of professionals in the fields of communication and media, taught in our leading-edge media complex. Montclair State University’s School of Communication and Media provides groundbreaking programs that give students the tools they need to succeed in the communication and media industries. Focused coursework, hands-on internships, and mentoring by a top-tier faculty are designed to arm students with marketable skills.
Because the boundaries between traditional and new media have blurred, the School of Communication and Whether you want to make experimental films, produce television programs, shape public opinion, or report breaking news on multiple platforms, you will find courses and programs to help meet your goals. The mission of the School of Communication and Media is to offer dynamic programs in communication and media—including communication and media arts, communication studies, filmmaking, journalism, public relations, television production, audio/sound design, and sports media and journalism.
- Environmental Studies - We offer courses in Geography, Earth and Environmental Science, Sustainability Science, Water Resource Management, Geographic Information Science and Remote Sensing, and Environmental Forensics, and in Earth and Environmental Sciences. Our programs emphasize strong foundations in natural, physical, and social sciences, foster critical thinking and communication skills, and incorporate cutting edge field, laboratory, and computational methods.
Faculty research programs are supported by the National Science Foundation, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, New Jersey Sea Grant, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Research and Education Fund, the International Ocean Discovery Program, among many others. Our programs are designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of Earth’s natural systems that support and nurture life; human interactions with and influences on Earth’s systems; the intersection of science, economics, law and policy; organizational approaches to sustainability issues in communities, businesses, government agencies, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs); project development and implementation, data collection, analysis, and interpretation, via either a thesis or applied internship project.
- Theater Art - We have trained actors, dancers, production artists, educators and arts managers to create “magic” for the stage for more than 50 years. Our location 14 miles west of Manhattan puts students just minutes away from Broadway productions, world-class dance performances, internships and all that attracts artists from all over the world.
Our exceptional faculty, progressive curriculum and superb facilities meet the rigorous standards required for accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and Dance (NASD) – distinctions that place us among the top programs in the country.
Classroom work is supported by intensive, pre-professional production and performance schedules that mirror the professions.
Our Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs with concentrations in Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, and Production and Design prepare students for careers as performers, director/choreographers and backstage specialists. Our Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Theatre Studies is designed for students wishing to pursue broad-based theatre-related careers.
- Nutrition - Our coursework offers hands-on experience in food laboratories and classrooms that focuses on positive health outcomes, food justice and current trends such as locally sourced food and sustainable agriculture. We prepare students to work in a variety of nutrition, food science, management and health-related fields.
Unique Academic Programs
- Languages - Courses offered in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian,Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and American Sign Language, as well as Linguistics.
- Gerontology - Courses address health and psychological aspects of aging, fitness and the aging process, and death and bereavement in the family, allowing a career path in an expanding field that can be incorporated into a variety of rewarding professions – from grief counseling to psychology.
- Sustainability Studies - Housed in the Department of Earth and Environmental Studies, the program takes advantage of expertise across campus including the College of Science and Mathematics, College of Humanities and Social Science, School of Business, and the PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies.
- Broadcasting - Our strategic partnership with SONY allows us to offer state-of-the-art electronics, designed and implemented with Sony, and to extend beyond the production environment to include theaters, classrooms, media labs, public spaces and a multi-platform newsroom.
- International Business - In our comprehensive program, you will gain an interdisciplinary perspective on national and company competitiveness, international trade, export and import management, foreign direct investment, market entry and expansion strategies, regional blocs, and management of multinational corporations. You will learn how to build robust business relationships that extend beyond our borders.
OptionsUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE StudentsAnthropology:
Honors Access: Yes
Area Studies: African American Studies, Asian Studies, Gerontology, International Studies, Japanese Studies (minor), Jewish Studies, Latin American Studies, Russian Studies
Art/Design/Fine Art: Art, Art Education, Art History, Ceramic Art/Ceramics, Computer Graphics, Design, Digital Arts, Drawing, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Jewelry and Metalsmithing, Media Arts, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Studio Art, Theater Art, Visual Arts
Athletics: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Physical Education, Sports Communication, Sports Management/Administration
Biological Sciences: Aquatic Biology, Biology/Life Science, Cell Biology, Entomology, Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Physiology
Business: Accounting, Business, Business Administration, Business Information Systems, Business Law, Business Technology, Entrepreneurship, Finance and Operation Management, Finance/Banking, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Marketing, Retailing and Merchandising, Operations Management, Product Design, Public Administration, Public Relations, Retailing, Supply and Logistics Management, Systems Management
Chemistry: Biochemistry, Chemistry, Geochemistry
Communications: American Sign Language, Audio Production Technology, Broadcasting, Communication, Electronic Media, Electronic Media and Culture, Film, Journalism, Journalism and Contemporary Media, Magazine Journalism, Mass Communication, Multimedia, Photo Journalism, Radio and Television Studies, Sound Design, Speech/Rhetoric/Public Address, Television, Television Arts, Visual Communication Technology, Visual Design/Web Media, Writing/Editing
Computer Science: Computer Network Security, Computer Science
Consumer and Family Studies: Family Science/Services, Family Studies
Criminal Justice: Corrections, Crime and Society, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Paralegal Studies
Earth Sciences: Astronomy, Earth Science, Geohydrology, Geology, Meteorology
Economics: Applied Economics, Economics, International Economics, Resource Economics
Education: Educational Administration and Supervision, Elementary Education, English, French, Health Education, Human Development, Language and Literacy, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Reading, Science, Secondary Education, Social Science Education, Spanish, Special Education, Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
English: Classical Studies, Creative Writing, English, Film Studies, Linguistics, Literature, Poetry, Professional Writing, Rhetoric, Writing
Environmental Studies: Coastal Environmental Studies, Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Biology, Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources/Science/Management, Sustainability Studies
Fashion: Apparel/Fashion Design, Apparel/Fashion Merchandising, Textile Arts, Textile Design, Textiles and Clothing
Food Science: Food Science, Nutrition
General Studies: Classical Studies, Gender Studies, Humanities, Leadership Studies, Spanish Literature
Geography and Urban Studies: Community Development, Geographic Information Sciences & Emergency Management, Geography, Human Geography, Real Estate, Urban Planning, Urban Studies
Health and Safety Sciences: Community Health, Dietetics, Exercise Science, Gerontology, Health Education, Health Services/Hospital Administration and Management, Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences, Public Health
Hospitality and Tourism: Hospitality Management
Industrial Studies: Industrial Design
Information Studies: Computer Science, Informatics, Information Science, Information Systems, Information Technology
International Studies: International Studies
Languages: American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, Classical Languages, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Interpretation/Translation, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
Marine Sciences: Marine Biology
Mathematics: Applied Mathematics, Discrete Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics
Performing Arts: Acting, Ballet, Choral Music, Dance, Directing, Modern Dance, Music, Music Education, Music History, Music Performance, Music Technology, Music Theater, Music Theory and Composition, Music Therapy, Music/Jazz Studies, Performance, Theater Arts/Drama, Theater Production
Philosophy/Religious Studies: Asian Religions and Culture, Ethics, Philosophy, Religion, Religious Studies
Physics: Geophysics, Nuclear Physics, Physics
Political Science: American Political Science, Government, International Affairs/Relations, Peace Studies, Political Science, Public Administration/Affairs
Psychology: Child Psychology, Counseling, Industrial Psychology, Psychology
Sociology/Social Work: Gender Studies, Law and Society, Social Welfare, Social Work, Sociology, Women and Gender Studies, Womens Studies
Speech Pathology and Audiology: Communication Disorders, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Speech Therapy
Theater: Performance and Directing, Theater