- Campus Catalog
- When will I register? According to class standing
- Syllabus Request for Course Pre-Approval: Contact Host Coordinator for assistance
Biology Musical Theatre Music Art Teacher's Certification/Education Computer Science Justice Studies Acting AccountingNotable Academic Programs
- Entrepreneurship - Rich, real-life entrepreneurial experience for students; and an ecosystem of talent helps us blur the line of where the campus ends and the entrepreneurial community begins by exposing students to mentors and other advisors who are entrepreneurs. Innovation is central in all we do, including in our MIX Lab, which provides tools for 3D printing, designing and making with the aim of transforming our students’ mindsets, and lives. Our classes are experiential and hands on, and teach students real-world skills to succeed in any career. Our students are budding actors, designers, teachers, scientists, inventors and accountants — anyone can be an entrepreneur, which is why our ENTR courses are open to any student of any major.
- Media Arts - Our trans-disciplinary program is intended to prepare the next generation of professionals in the fields of communication and media, taught in our leading-edge media complex. Montclair State University’s School of Communication and Media provides groundbreaking programs that give students the tools they need to succeed in the communication and media industries. Focused coursework, hands-on internships, and mentoring by a top-tier faculty are designed to arm students with marketable skills.
Because the boundaries between traditional and new media have blurred, the School of Communication and Whether you want to make experimental films, produce television programs, shape public opinion, or report breaking news on multiple platforms, you will find courses and programs to help meet your goals. The mission of the School of Communication and Media is to offer dynamic programs in communication and media—including communication and media arts, communication studies, filmmaking, journalism, public relations, television production, audio/sound design, and sports media and journalism.
- Environmental Studies - We offer courses in Geography, Earth and Environmental Science, Sustainability Science, Water Resource Management, Geographic Information Science and Remote Sensing, and Environmental Forensics, and in Earth and Environmental Sciences. Our programs emphasize strong foundations in natural, physical, and social sciences, foster critical thinking and communication skills, and incorporate cutting edge field, laboratory, and computational methods.
Faculty research programs are supported by the National Science Foundation, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, New Jersey Sea Grant, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Research and Education Fund, the International Ocean Discovery Program, among many others. Our programs are designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of Earth’s natural systems that support and nurture life; human interactions with and influences on Earth’s systems; the intersection of science, economics, law and policy; organizational approaches to sustainability issues in communities, businesses, government agencies, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs); project development and implementation, data collection, analysis, and interpretation, via either a thesis or an applied internship project.
- Theater Art - We have trained actors, dancers, production artists, educators and arts managers to create “magic” for the stage for more than 50 years. Our location 14 miles west of Manhattan puts students just minutes away from Broadway productions, world-class dance performances, internships and all that attracts artists from all over the world.
Our exceptional faculty, progressive curriculum and superb facilities meet the rigorous standards required for accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and Dance (NASD) – distinctions that place us among the top programs in the country.
Classroom work is supported by intensive, pre-professional production and performance schedules that mirror the professions.
Our Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs with concentrations in Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, and Production and Design prepare students for careers as performers, director/choreographers and backstage specialists. Our Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Theatre Studies is designed for students wishing to pursue broad-based theatre-related careers.
- Nutrition - Our coursework offers hands-on experience in food laboratories and classrooms that focuses on positive health outcomes, food justice and current trends such as locally sourced food and sustainable agriculture. We prepare students to work in a variety of nutrition, food science, management and health-related fields.
Unique Academic Programs
- Languages - Courses offered in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian,Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and American Sign Language, as well as Linguistics.
- Gerontology - Courses address health and psychological aspects of aging, fitness and the aging process, and death and bereavement in the family, allowing a career path in an expanding field that can be incorporated into a variety of rewarding professions – from grief counseling to psychology.
- Sustainability Studies - Housed in the Department of Earth and Environmental Studies, the program takes advantage of expertise across campus including the College of Science and Mathematics, College of Humanities and Social Science, School of Business, and the PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies.
- Broadcasting - Our strategic partnership with SONY allows us to offer state-of-the-art electronics, designed and implemented with Sony, and to extend beyond the production environment to include theaters, classrooms, media labs, public spaces and a multi-platform newsroom.
- International Business - In our comprehensive program, you will gain an interdisciplinary perspective on national and company competitiveness, international trade, export and import management, foreign direct investment, market entry and expansion strategies, regional blocs, and management of multinational corporations. You will learn how to build robust business relationships that extend beyond our borders.
OptionsUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE Students
Honors Access: Yes
Accounting, African American Studies, American Sign Language... ++ show all
Tuition / Finances
Figures per Semester are current as of 06/13/23
Tuition and Fees - Home Payment Students
Maximum Credit Hours Per Semester
- Pay regular tuition to your home campus. No tuition/fees are paid to your host campus.
- Home Payment: 18 ($444. per additional hour)
Financial Aid for NSE Students
Regardless of Payment Plan, financial aid is awarded by and disbursed from your home campus.
Miscellaneous Fees - Per Semester
||Host & Home
||Host & Home
|Course Fees / Materials||Varies||Semester||Host & Home||Mandatory|
Important Notes: Student Service and Student Governments fees are waived for incoming Plan B students. Health insurance can be waived with proof of coverage.
Figures per Semester are current as of 06/13/23
Important Notes about Health Insurance
Students with comparable insurance may waive Montclair State University health insurance at the beginning of the exchange semester.
Exchange with Canada - Health Insurance
Comments on Problems or Conditions for Access
COVID-19 vaccinations required
All students (undergraduate, graduate, full-time, part-time) are required to complete the COVID-19 vaccine series (or a single dose series). The requirement will apply to every student, undergraduate and graduate, commuter and residential, except (1) those who are enrolled in fully online degree programs that offer no on-campus instruction, activities, or services and (2) those who qualify under New Jersey law for medical or religious exemptions. View “Students Exempt from Immunization Requirements” information on website.
Other Health Related Comments
Housing is only available to students who are either up to date with COVID vaccination or those with an approved medical or religious exemption.