Notable Academic Programs
- Campus Catalog
- When will I register? After campus students
- Syllabus Request for Course Pre-Approval: Contact Host Coordinator for assistance
- Integrated Health Sciences major - A degree in Integrated Health Sciences prepares students to pursue graduate and professional programs in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or Athletic Training. The program highlights an integrated approach featuring coursework across multiple disciplines including biology, psychology, sociology, health and human performance, and nursing. The Integrated Health Sciences major offers three concentrations (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or Athletic Training). After successful completion of the degree with respective concentration, graduates will be well positioned to enter and succeed at the graduate/professional program of their choice.
- Zoology major - This major prepares students for future studies in graduate school or professional programs, as well as for the work force. Graduates have pursued a wide variety of careers, including veterinarian medicine, human medicine, agriculture, environmental education, and as research scientists in fields of wildlife biology, ecology, conservation, genetics, and forestry. MHU is the only private, 4-year university in NC that offers a zoology program.
- Business Administration major - This major prepares students for professional, managerial, and leadership positions in business, governmental, and non-profit organizations. Emphasis is placed on the development of communication, teamwork, technical, analytical, and critical thinking skills that are needed by successful organizations competing in a global economy. Above all else, we strive to instill in students a desire to be life-long learners who will promote socially responsible solutions to organizational problems and who will recognize the importance of ethical behavior and integrity in all aspects of their lives. Four concentration options: Healthcare Management, Finance and Economics, Management, Marketing.
- Art Therapy major - This program introduces students to the use of the visual arts as an expressive therapy. An undergraduate degree in art therapy is meant to prepare students for work in a therapeutic setting and for graduate work in the field of art therapy. A Master’s degree is required to practice as an Art Therapist. Students will develop their artistic skills through visual arts courses in drawing, painting, and sculpture. Psychology coursework will focus on the skills and populations students are likely to encounter in art therapy settings.
- Fashion Marketing major - Fashion marketing is the place where fashion and business meet, where finished designs and collections finally come to market. Fashion marketing plays a pivotal role – designs must be communicated to consumers in a way that makes people want to purchase them.
This program provides students with an understanding of historical, sociological, and cultural trends that influence fashion. A degree in Fashion Marketing prepares students for a career in visual merchandising, events planning and management, marketing research, fashion brand development, promotional planning, or as a fashion buyer and merchandise manager for traditional and online stores. It combines love for fashion and aptitude for business in one practical but exciting major.
Unique Academic Programs
- Appalachian Studies minor - This minor provides an opportunity to explore the history, culture and natural environment of southern Appalachia and the wealth of cultural and natural resources right in MHU’s backyard.
- Interdisciplinary Studies major - Perfect major for students who are excited by a lot of disciplines or have unique career goals. An IDS major prepares students for the world of work in the following ways:
Breadth of knowledge - students know how to apply problem-solving skills from more than one discipline to a problem.
Adaptability - Breadth of knowledge increases your ability to adapt to the ever-changing job market.
Career planning focus: IDS majors work one on one with the IDS Program Coordinator to learn more about their career goals and options available to meet those goals. You will get real world experience through your IDS internship as well.
- Community and Nonprofit Leadership major - This major prepares students to work in the private non-profit and public sector as well as graduate study in nonprofit management, social entrepreneurship, community development or public policy. Students will develop their abilities to make positive change in their community, region, and the world, learn to work effectively with people different from themselves, enact principles of social justice, and engage in extensive experiential learning.
OptionsUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE Students
Honors Access: Yes
Tuition / Finances
Figures per Semester are current as of 11/24/23
Tuition and Fees - Home Payment Students
Maximum Credit Hours Per Semester
- Pay regular tuition to your home campus. No tuition/fees are paid to your host campus.
- Home Payment: 20 ($900 per additional hour)
Financial Aid for NSE Students
Regardless of Payment Plan, financial aid is awarded by and disbursed from your home campus.
Miscellaneous Fees - Per Semester
|NSE Program Fee
|Course Fees / Materials||Varies||Semester||Host & Home||Mandatory|
Figures per Semester are current as of 11/24/23
Important Notes about Health Insurance
health insurance is recommended but not required for our students.
Exchange with Canada - Health Insurance
Students do not need to purchase health insurance.
Other Health Related Comments
We require completion of a medical history form on our website, along with submission of actual immunization records (photo or copies OK). No medical records required.