-- Campus Catalog --Registration PriorityClosed Programs
Dental Hygiene and Nursing.Limitations
Business (Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, and Marketing) courses are limited. Please contact UHM NSE Coordinator for eligibility criteria. The following have major restrictions (but overrides MAY be provided by the instructor or department; It is helpful to be granted overrides if students are declared the major at their home campus): Academy for Creative Media,
Architecture, Communications, Engineering, Fashion Design & Merchandising, Journalism, Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science, Psychology, Social Work, and Travel Industry Management. Only limited Education courses are available to NSE students. Please contact the UHM NSE Coordinator to determine which ones.Notable Academic Programs
- Business - Consistently ranked among the top 25 institutions for international business.
- Tourism and Travel - The first school to pioneer and integrate all aspects of hospitality, tourism, and transportation management into a single discipline, educating leaders in the industry for over 50 years.
- Oceanography - A leading department of multidisciplinary research and education on the ocean, earth, and atmosphere
- Astronomy - Specializing in diverse fields including astrobiology, planetary sciences, solar physics, galactic astronomy and star formation, and extragalactic astronomy and cosmology.
- Engineering - Inspired by the principles of sustainability and resilience, flavored by the unique island environment.
Unique Academic Programs
- Hawaiian Studies - Most courses are distinctive and taught nowhere else in the world.
- Pacific Island Studies - An innovative instructional program that is regional, comparative, and interdisciplinary in nature.
- Peace Studies - Courses promote cross cultural communication and peacemaking leadership, building on Hawai'i's cultural heritage and island values of aloha, mutual aid and respect, sense of community, and caring for the land.
- Oceanography - Three areas of specialization include Physical Oceanography, Marine Geology and Geochemistry, and Biological Oceanography.
- Ethnic Studies - Specializes in race and ethnicity as they intersect with Indigeneity, class, gender, and sexuality in Hawaiʻi, the United States, and Oceania.
OptionsUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE StudentsAerospace Sciences:
Honors Access: Yes
Agriculture: Animal Sciences, Horticulture, Land Resources, Pest Management, Plant and Soil Systems, Plant Protection, Plant Science, Soil Science
Anthropology: Anthropology, Archaeology, Ethnic Studies
Architecture: Architecture, Landscape Architecture/Design
Area Studies: American Studies, Asian American Studies, Asian Studies, Chinese Studies, Chinese Studies (minor), East Asian Literature/Studies, European Studies, Gender, Ethnicity and Multicultural Studies, Hawaiian Studies, Japanese Studies, Japanse Studies (minor), Korean Studies, Latin American Studies, Pacific Island Studies, Philippine Studies, Russian Studies
Art/Design/Fine Art: Art, Art Education, Art History, Ceramic Art/Ceramics, Design, Digital Arts, Drawing, Fiber-Fabric, Fine Art, Glass, Graphic Design, Media Arts, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Studio Art, Theater Art
Athletics: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Health and Fitness Teaching, Physical Education
Biological Sciences: Aquatic Biology, Biology/Life Science, Biotechnology, Botany/Plant Sciences, Cell Biology, Entomology, Evolutionary Biology, Fish Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Molecular Biosciences, Neuroscience, Physiology, Zoology
Business: Accounting, Business Law, Entrepreneurship, Finance/Banking, Human Resource Management, Insurance, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Marketing, Retailing and Merchandising, Public Administration
Chemistry: Biochemical Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry
Communications: Broadcasting, Communication, Communication Technology Management, Electronic Media and Culture, Film, Interpersonal and Public Communication, Journalism, Media News, Speech/Rhetoric/Public Address
Computer Science: Computer Game Design, Computer Network Security
Consumer and Family Studies: Consumer Sciences/Services, Family Science/Services, Family Studies
Criminal Justice: Crime and Society, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Juvenile Justice
Earth Sciences: Astronomy, Astrophysics, Atmospheric Sciences, Earth Science, Geology, Geosciences, Meteorology
Economics: Economics, Environmental Economics, International Economics, Resource Economics
Education: Elementary Education, English, French, Junior High/Middle School, Junior High/Middle School Mathematics, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Science, Secondary Education, Social Science Education, Spanish, Special Education
Engineering: Biological Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
English: Business Writing, Classical Studies, Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, English, Literature, Rhetoric
Environmental Studies: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources, Natural Resources/Science/Management
Fashion: Apparel/Fashion Design, Apparel/Fashion Merchandising
Food Science: Food Science, Food Science and Technology, Nutrition
Foreign Language: Arabic (some courses), Chinese, Classical Languages, English as a Foreign Language, French, German, Greek, Hawaiian, Hindi-Urdu, Indo-Pacific Languages, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
General Studies: Arts and Science, Gender Studies, Humanities, Interdisciplinary Studies, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences
Geography and Urban Studies: Geography, Human Geography, Spatial Geographic Information Science
Health and Safety Sciences: Dietetics, Exercise Science, Health Education, Kinesiology, Public Health, Rehabilitation Sciences
Hospitality and Tourism: Hospitality Management, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Tourism and Travel, Tourism Management
Information Studies: Computer Science, Informatics, Information Technology
Marine Sciences: Marine Sciences, Oceanography
Mathematics: Actuarial Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Mathematics
Military Sciences: Air Force ROTC, Army ROTC
Performing Arts: Acting, Dance, Design/Technical, Directing, Ethnomusicology, Modern Dance, Music, Music Education, Music History, Music Performance, Music Theory and Composition, Performance, Theater Production
Philosophy/Religious Studies: Asian Religions and Culture, Philosophy, Religion
Physics: Applied Physics, Astrophysics, Geophysics, Physics
Political Science: American Political Science, Government, Peace Studies, Political Science
Psychology: Behavioral Science, Human Development, Medical Psychology, Psychology
Sociology/Social Work: Community Services, Gender Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Womens Studies
Technology: Information Technology
Theater: Performance and Directing